Saturday, September 17, 2011

Term 4 - Lenses

Issues in teaching and Learning Science
We had to do lenses for online learning by ourselves before we start having lessons on it. The wiki contained a lot of information on lenses, but I still don't really quite grasp the topic during my own online learning. It became a lot clearer when Ms Nada drew and explained more clearly step by step how the light reacts when it passes through a lens. One part of my confusion was in thinking that the focal point of a mirror is similar to a focal point of a lens, and therefore all rays of light regardless of which direction that passes through a lens must converge at a focal point. Because this was a wrong misconception, I could not do any questions correctly at first and was quite discouraged. In the end, I figured that only the rays of light parallel to the principal axis will converge together at the focal point. 


Reflections on termly personal performance and growth development in Science
As usual, lens seems very hard, but will definitely get easier with more practices. The more practices I do, the more facts I start learning about lenses too. For reflection, concave mirrors are more complicated than convex mirrors. For lenses, convex lenses are way, way, way more complicated than concave mirrors. Is this nature's way of keeping everything balanced? Well, for all I know, it's time to study hard for the end of year exams!
Reflections on science experiences, laboratory sessions,  field work and excursions
We had one teacher's demonstration on lenses. It was quite cool seeing a sharp picture of the science lab's windows being displayed on a small screen. I was half hoping that if I cut the paper and keep the image, it will still remain there although it wouldn't. I don't know why my spectacles can't focus a distance image when I put a piece of paper behind it. All I can see is just a shadow of my own spectacles. Only when there is a strong light source, like the sun, will there be a bright circle displayed on a plane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment