Thursday, September 1, 2011

Chemical Bonding

Chemical bonding is basically how different compounds can be formed. There are two types of bonding - ionic bonding and covalent bonding, where  electrons are given and shared respectively. In a sense, it is like using different types of lego to build a structure. The possibilities are limitless and what you get is unique in one way or another, making this world a very interesting place. The structure and bonding of a substance determines its properties, which in turn determines its uses.

My Reflection
When I just started learning about chemical bonding, the most common examples were H20 and NaCl, leading me to believe that it is very simple and required little thinking. As I went further on, however, with "mystery chemicals" doing covalent bonding, I found out that it was a lot harder. One of such questions came out in the exam paper, and shoot, I spent a lot of time trying to find the answer. I think that chemical bonding is very useful in our everyday lives, even though we cant see it happening. I also learnt that when scientist try to create new compounds, they don't really just randomly throw chemicals and mix them to see the final reaction, instead, they find out the atomic structure of the atom/compound they want to experiment with, and then from that deduce which atoms/compounds are able to react with it, thus saving a lot of time.

1 comment: