Saturday, September 17, 2011

Term 3 - Optics: Reflection and Refraction

Issues in teaching and Learning Science
Optics was something that I did not find interesting previously, but do so now after learning and being aware about it. To understand optics, I learned that you cannot take it too literally; many times you have to use your own imaginations to visualize things. For example, many times, a ray of light is travelling through a medium, but just because it does not travel to our eyes we might make a mistake thinking that there are no light rays in existence. 


Reflections on termly personal performance and growth development in Science
Reflection and refraction helped me to understand many things that I did not know about light and its behavior. Now, I get a better understanding of the world around me, and whenever I see any blinding light reflected off MacRitchie Reservoir while I am canoeing during training I start thinking about reflection. A sad thing about being able to see things only if light is reflected off is that we will probably never be able to see planets and interesting space objects like black holes which does not have exterior light source to reflect light off it.


Reflections on science experiences, laboratory sessions,  field work and excursions
We had many practicals on optics. Although they were not as exciting as chemistry experiments, it was still more interactive than classroom teaching. The object that caught my interest most was the concave mirror. When I stood very close to it, my image was magnified quite circularly. When I start walking backwards, my image became smaller and then many swirls of colours started appearing. I must be standing near the focal point of the mirror! As I walked further backwards, my image came into focus again, except that its orientation was the other way round. How interesting, like the house of mirrors!

No comments:

Post a Comment