Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Term 1 - Acid, Bases and Salts!

Issues in teaching and Learning Science
This was another topic which had caught my interest when I was young - now, I can finally get all my answers! I was surprised that acids and alkaline are actually so close to our everyday life - from oranges to vinegar, soap to detergents, as previously I thought that acids and alkalines are things "exclusive" to the laboratory. I learnt many applications and uses of acids and bases, and how each can neuter the other to form a salt. For example, how bee stings and hornet stings are acid and alkaline respectively - well, for that, I was kind of wondering if I got a bee sting, I should get another hornet to sting me as well to neutralise it. Yes, it may seem crazy logically, but scientifically, it should work.



Reflections on termly personal performance and growth development in Science
I found the topic of acid, bases and salts extremely interesting. They are quite fun to play and experiment with during the laboratory sessions, and I believe there is no limit to the amount of acids and bases we can ever find. Acids and bases plays an important role in our daily lives, but all of us are taking it for granted. In nature, acids and alkalines also play a huge role. Plants and animals have have different preferences for the pH value of their surroundings. For example, plants like roses grow better in soil with lower pH. We humans as well, don't feel well if out stomach acid is too acidic. Acids and bases can also be abused to harm other people. For example, in the Middle East, a young man splashed acid on a girl that rejected his marriage proposal, causing her facial qualities to become deformed and ugly, and she was also blinded in one eye. Therefore, it is important for us to be aware of the properties of acids, bases and salts.


Reflections on science experiences, laboratory sessions,  field work and excursions
We had many interesting practicals lined up for us but sadly time is always not enough. It is very important to keep track of which acid or alkaline you have in your test tubes during experiments, because many of them all look alike, usually transparent. The chemicals appeal to me a lot, and I always have the urge to mix different chemicals together just to see what happens. I noticed that many other people like doing it too.

2 comments: